- Getting familiar with the types of hands your opponents could be playing is a skill that will take your game to the top.
- Look into your opponents' soul, read their deepest thoughts and then call that bluff!
We've all seen it (or experienced it) at some point, a player makes an inconceivable call, leaving us scratching our heads thinking:
‘WOW! How did they make that call?'
What you may have missed were the clues leading up to the call - making it a well thought out decision. The call was probably based mostly on putting the opponent on a select few hand combinations, otherwise known as a ‘range'.
The better you become at hand reading, the better a poker player you will become. It can be the difference between a profitable or not so profitable session.
The Soul Read - Staying Focused
Now think back to the situation where you were shocked by that great call or "soul read". The play was probably based in part on information picked up on by the Hero at some point; information you may have missed.
Perhaps it was based on a slightly longer time to bet on one street or a bigger raise amount than normal. Staying focused is your biggest asset when at the poker table.
Pay attention to how your opponents play their big hands and their weaker ones. There will inevitably be a pattern that even the best of the best find hard to conceal.
Turning the Tables
Bear in mind that while you are assigning a range of hands to an opponent, they may be doing exactly the same to you. So in order to properly assign hand ranges you must consider your ‘perceived range' - in other words what they think you have.
This is of paramount importance - especially when executing a bluff. It has to make sense.
5 Key Tips to Assigning Hand Range:
- Hand range should be narrowed street by street.
- Typically, the more aggressive the player is, the wider the range.
- Take notes (mental or written) of players tendencies - focus is key.
- Be aware of your own "perceived range"
- Remember to include hands you are behind, as well as hands you beat in a range. Don't get tunnel-vision simply because you want a reason to hero call.
This article was brought to you by 888poker.